Stewards' Summary @ Scone 11th May
Published: 11 May 2019
A summary of Scone for Saturday 11th May is shown below, including Vet Notes, Penalties and Fines. For the full report, visit the racingnsw.com.au website.
- Devachan (Race 3) – A post race veterinary examination revealed the filly displayed a slow recovery. Stable representative Mr D Beadman said that it is likely that Devachan will now be spelled and will barrier trial before resuming another racing preparation.
Penalties & Fines
- Co-trainers Ms G Waterhouse and Mr A Bott, Ready to Prophet – were fined $200 under AR206 for the late application and approval to remove blinkers from Ready to Prophet.
- J Innes, the rider of Sweet Ava, pleaded guilty to a charge of careless riding under AR131(a) in that passing the 200m, he shifted in abruptly to the inside of Tropezina when insufficiently clear of Gongs resulting in Gongs being crowded onto the running rail, having to be checked and becoming unbalanced. J Innes’ licence to ride in races was suspended for a period to commence on Sunday, 19 May 2019 and to expire on Sunday, 26 May 2019 on which day he may ride again.
- Trainer Mr A Cummings, Red Chandelier was fined $100 under AR106 for presenting the mare without blinkers which are part of its approved race gear.
Summary of Races
RACE 1 – Inglis 3yo Guineas 1400m
- Reginae – began awkwardly
- Indiana Star – slow to begin.
- Total Power – slow to begin.
- Military Zone –- hung in when placed under pressure inside the 200m obliging its rider to stop riding momentarily and correct approaching the 100m.
- Reginae – had to be steadied passing the 350m to avoid the heels of Power Of Wexford, which shifted out when not quite clear. J Ford was reprimanded under AR131(a).
- Bare Naked Lady – had to be steadied over the concluding stages when crowded between Wild Planet (T Berry), which shifted out when under pressure, and Military Zone. T Berry was advised to exercise more care.
RACE 2 – Segenhoe Stud Benchmark 78 Handicap 2200m
- Ready to Prophet – co-trainers Ms G Waterhouse and Mr A Bott were fined $200 under AR206 for the late application and approval to remove blinkers from Ready to Prophet.
- Jake's Hill – slow to begin. Had to be shifted out abruptly rounding the 1000m turn when Raqeeq lost ground.
- Loving Home – slow to begin.
- Fairlight – began awkwardly.
- High Opinion – raced wide and without cover throughout the event and hung in from the 600m.
- Raqeeq – was momentarily crowded rounding the turn near the 1000m, struck the running rail, became very unbalanced and lost considerable ground. G Schofield said that after this, Raqeeq refused to stretch out despite his urgings and was continually unbalanced. A post race veterinary examination revealed no abnormalities. Stable representative Mr C Harwood said a decision on Raqeeq’s current preparation would be made after reviewing the gelding's recovery. Mr Harwood was advised that prior to racing again, Raqeeq must perform satisfactorily in an official barrier trial.
- Mazaz – laid out under pressure over the final 200m obliging its rider to stop riding and straighten passing the 150m and again inside the 100m.
RACE 3 – Yarraman Park Woodlands Stakes 1100m
- Love Me Quietly – slow to begin.
- Just Field – began awkwardly.
- Egyptian Missile – was hampered shortly after the start when Libertini shifted out.
- Devachan – when questioned in relation to the performance, R King explained that whilst her mount began well and travelled strongly in the early stages, when she attempted to go forward from the 500m, it was unbalanced and unresponsive and could not improve rounding the home turn. She said she felt concerned with its action and for this reason, she did not place Devachan under vigour over the concluding stages. A post race veterinary examination revealed the filly displayed a slow recovery. Stable representative Mr D Beadman said that it is likely that Devachan will now be spelled and will barrier trial before resuming another racing preparation.
RACE 4 – Vinery Stud Benchmark 78 Handicap 1100m
- Sir Donald – slow to begin. Sir Donald was held up behind Wagner passing the 200m, had to be shifted in to go forward, then could not be placed under full vigour when racing inside Wagner and behind Americana Magic approaching the 100m.
- Star Of Monsoon – slow to begin.
- Buck Bay – began awkwardly.
- Oneness – began awkwardly and shifted out abruptly.
- Wagner – blundered on jumping.
- Anna’s Joy – bumped on jumping by Buck Bay, which shifted out.
- Southern Lad – was bumped heavily at the started and became unbalanced. App B Owen dropped his whip passing the 100m.
- Difficult To Get – raced in restricted room for some distance inside the 350m and could not go forward.
- Crafty Tycoon – had to be shifted out abruptly shortly after the start.
- Jack’s Bar – was held up at the entrance to the home straight, then was further inconvenienced when improving and shifted in passing the 200m.
- Wagner – near the 350m was steadied when disappointed when attempting to obtain a clear run between Americana Magic (App S Clenton), which shifted out under pressure when racing greenly, and Buck Bay, and was held up for some distance. App Clenton was advised to exercise more care. Approaching the 100m, Wagner was again inconvenienced when American Magic shifted out slightly and raced in restricted room. T Berry said that whilst his mount did not improve quickly when placed under pressure near the 300m, had he been able to obtain clear running at any stage inside that point, his mount would have finished the race off strongly. He said that he did not ride with vigour over the concluding stages due to being in restricted room for so long. Whilst it was conceded that Wagner was not able to be placed under competitive pressure for a considerable distance in the home straight, T Berry was reminded of his obligation to rides his mounts out to the end of the race wherever possible.
RACE 5 – Emirates Park Denise's Joy Stakes 1100m
- Evalina – slow to begin.
- Can I Rock – slow to begin.
- Gongs – slow to begin. J Innes, the rider of Sweet Ava, pleaded guilty to a charge of careless riding under AR131(a) in that passing the 200m, he shifted in abruptly to the inside of Tropezina when insufficiently clear of Gongs resulting in Gongs being crowded onto the running rail, having to be checked and becoming unbalanced. J Innes’ licence to ride in races was suspended for a period to commence on Sunday, 19 May 2019 and to expire on Sunday, 26 May 2019 on which day he may ride again.
- Prophet’s Thumb – slow to begin. When questioned regarded his ride rounding the home turn and in the early part of the home straight, J Collett explained that at this time, whilst he was racing in clear room, he was of the view that he was racing behind runners not capable of taking him into the race. He said that just prior to entering the home straight, he elected to shift out to the outside of the field where clear running was available. He said that he achieved this passing the 250m where he placed Prophet’s Thumb under full pressure and the filly responded well. Upon review, he said with the benefit of hindsight, an option may have been available to him to shift in rounding the home turn and improve behind Madam Rouge which did go forward and had he done so, he may have been able to avail himself of a run between Madam Rouge and the eventual winner, Ready To Prophet, inside the 200m which would have, in his opinion, been more advantageous.
- Wonderbabe – had to be steadied and shifted out near the 200m after running onto the heels of Power Rush, which weakened at that point.
- Tell Me – laid in under pressure over the final 400m.
- Pretty In Pink – a post race veterinary examination revealed no abnormalities.
RACE 6 – TAB Luskin Star Stakes 1300m
- Lanciato – slow to begin.
- Cadogan – slow to begin.
- Brave Song – when questioned, G Schofield said that after being slow away, he rode with some vigour in the initial stages and considered taking a position outside Redouble passing the 1200m, however Redouble was racing away from the rail and to avoid being caught three wide without cover or attempting to force Redouble closer to the running rail, he elected to ease and take a position behind Redouble, which he felt was his best option at that stage. He said that for some distance after this, he constantly monitored the position of Redouble in relation to the running rail for the opportunity to improve to its outside in a one off position, however that situation did not eventuate and he maintained his position on the back of that runner until he placed his mount under pressure passing the 600m.
- Mahalangur – was bumped and carried wider passing the 100m.
RACE 7 – Arrowfield Dark Jewel Classic 1400m
- Red Chandelier – slow to begin. Trainer Mr A Cummings was fined $100 under AR106 for presenting the mare without blinkers which are part of its approved race gear.
- Aqua D’Ivina – slow to begin (2L).
- Asharani – slow to begin. Asharani had to be steadied near the 1300m when crowded momentarily by Pumpkin Pie (C Reith) which shifted in marginally when not clear. C Reith was reprimanded under AR131(a).
- Sweet Scandal – began awkwardly.
- Siren’s Fury – raced wide and without cover for the majority of the race.
- Moss Trip – when questioned, T Berry said that his mount travelled relatively well during the early and middle stages in a midfield position, however when he attempted to improve inside the 600m, despite having an unimpeded run with the use of the running rail, Moss Trip did not respond and in his opinion was disappointing. A post race veterinary examination revealed no abnormalities. Co-trainer Mr Peter Snowden expressed disappointment with the performance of Moss Trip and undertook to report back to Stewards on the post race condition and future race plans of the mare.
RACE 8 – Coolmore Ortensia Stakes 1100m
- Envy Of All – slow to begin.
- Royal Tudor– began awkwardly and then was hampered by Goldfinch, which shifted out.
- Victorem – slow to begin.
- Viridine – slow to begin.
- After All That – had to be eased and shifted in to continue to go forward passing the 150m.
- Magic Alibi – hung in under pressure inside the 300m then had to be shifted out to continue to improve passing the 150m.